Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TCP tweak & default setting

Hi~!
I know the Xanmod kernel patched with Vegas / YeAH TCP congestion control.
And at default the Xanmod kernel was using Vegas .
Why not set the YeAH to default ?
In my understanding of the TCP,YeAH is an optimized version which based on the concept of the Vegas.And a combination of STCP and Reno.

Does YeAH have any  defect in normal use?

And in my case When I set the TCP to use YeAH and restart,It will return to Vegas ?
Is any config i forgot to setting ?

sorry my poor english.
目前工作範疇,網路管理員、tcp優化工程

Code:
$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
vegas
Code:
$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/ipv4/
ah4.ko        ip_tunnel.ko  tcp_highspeed.ko  tcp_westwood.ko
esp4.ko       ip_vti.ko     tcp_htcp.ko       tunnel4.ko
fou.ko        netfilter     tcp_hybla.ko      udp_diag.ko
gre.ko        tcp_bic.ko    tcp_illinois.ko   udp_tunnel.ko
inet_diag.ko  tcp_cdg.ko    tcp_lp.ko         xfrm4_mode_beet.ko
ipcomp.ko     tcp_cubic.ko  tcp_probe.ko      xfrm4_mode_transport.ko
ip_gre.ko     tcp_dctcp.ko  tcp_scalable.ko   xfrm4_mode_tunnel.ko
ipip.ko       tcp_diag.ko   tcp_veno.ko       xfrm4_tunnel.ko

It's a good question.  :Smile
"(...) the grandest occasion the past or present has seen, or the future can hope to see." -- Cervantes.

0. Put attached file in /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/net/ipv4/ if You do not have tcp_yeah.ko elsewhere in that branch. You can find that with
Code:
sudo updatedb
locate tcp_yeah.ko
1. Change /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf so that you have a line with
Code:
tcp_yeah
in it.
2. Change /etc/sysctl.conf so that You have line with
Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = yeah
in it and yeah You're done.
3. If You do not want to (and You should not... Wink) reboot do
Code:
sudo modprobe tcp_yeah
sudo systemctl -p
and yeah do keep working... Wink
All the best in NY.

Attached Files
.ko   tcp_yeah.ko (Size: 7.64 KB / Downloads: 185)
"Everything has been thought of before, but the problem is to think of it again.“Goethe

I have tried to download the attachment but some server errors happened:
Code:
Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/u762875136/public_html/forum/Settings.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/u155692069:/tmp:/var/tmp:/opt/php-5.3/pear) in /home/u762875136/public_html/forum/index.php on line 44
Warning: require_once(/home/u762875136/public_html/forum/Settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/u762875136/public_html/forum/index.php on line 44
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/u762875136/public_html/forum/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/opt/php-5.3/pear') in /home/u762875136/public_html/forum/index.php on line 44
I have finally downloaded it now.  Tongue
"(...) the grandest occasion the past or present has seen, or the future can hope to see." -- Cervantes.

Thank you very much Zika!!
In my case.
I have only added code in sysctl.conf like this
Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = yeah
And I found that when I reboot,The
Code:
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
  remains in the yeah
Now I find that this is how stupid.
I am glad I have come here to ask the question
Thanks everyone
目前工作範疇,網路管理員、tcp優化工程

Code:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
yeah

Same here, it's enough by adding that line to the sysctl.conf file. Smile YeAH should be the default TCP congestion control method in XanMod. I didn't knew I was using Vegas. 8)

Excuse me guys, I uploaded a new revision with yeah by default.
It was necessary to touch the code to set as default. Later I will create a public git to better control the changes and depend less of pf-kernel git repository.

(01-01-2016, 11:26 PM)Xan link Wrote: Excuse me guys, I uploaded a new revision with yeah by default.
It was necessary to touch the code to set as default. Later I will create a public git to better control the changes and depend less of pf-kernel git repository.

Thank you, Xan, downloading! Very good news! 8)

Thanks Xan!!
I was very exciting news!!
目前工作範疇,網路管理員、tcp優化工程

Xan, "Vegas" still appears announced in the XanMod features of Sourceforge.  Smile

(02-01-2016, 12:42 AM)tropic link Wrote: Xan, "Vegas" still appears announced in the XanMod features of Sourceforge.  Smile

Thanks for remind tropic!

4.3.3-xanmod8 #2 with YeAH TCP congestion control by default, all works fine! Smile
Code:
uname -a
Linux tropic 4.3.3-xanmod8 #2 SMP Fri Jan 1 22:23:08 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
yeah

I read about a machine optimized computer generated TCP congestion algorithm  called Remy https://github.com/keithw/remy
If its possible you can merge it  into the xanmod, i think thats a totally new approach in TCP congestion, developed in the MIT by Prof. Hari Balakrishnan und Keith Winstein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0vbze3oe9Q

Remy TCP Dev Tool is fully used for  server .
To set Remy, you must know how much of your connect,your pc efficacy,also your Network environment.
Many things have to be precisely set.
Without config,Remy will stay in a low  power.
And Remy adapt very long time.(ABout 7hour to do the best settings)
For desktop users and general users that isn't a easy way.
And CK Kernel just for desktop and general .(BFS ,BFQ)
Both of which contradict each other.
目前工作範疇,網路管理員、tcp優化工程

http://www.satnac.org.za/proceedings/201...ies/15.pdf
"Everything has been thought of before, but the problem is to think of it again.“Goethe

(09-01-2016, 08:24 AM)zika link Wrote: http://www.satnac.org.za/proceedings/201...ies/15.pdf

Very interesting comparison, "The exception is CUBIC and YeAH, which form part of the well-behaved group. These high speed congestion control algorithms seem particularly effective at not overwhelming the network, and sharing available bandwidth with other TCPconnections."
Smile

And, yet, none of those is my pick... Wink

EricLinTW, what do you think of Illinois or westwood on desktops?

(12-01-2016, 04:13 AM)Xan link Wrote: EricLinTW, what do you think of Illinois or westwood on desktops?
It is addressed to someone else but I just say that we do have nice results with those (especially with one)...
That was the purpose of the paper I posted here about TCP-CAA.

Between Illinois and Westwood I prefer Illinois. And between Vegas and YeAH, I prefer YeAH. And between Illinois and YeAH, sincerely, I don't know by now. :-X
Edit: Probably YeAH is better maintained http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/566072/
Edit2: Illinois seems to be better than YeAH for throughput results -- september, 22.
https://forum.xanmod.org/thread-53-post-...ml#pid1788
Edit3: recent benchmarking shows better performance for Westwood and Illinois.
https://forum.xanmod.org/thread-53-post-...ml#pid1791

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)