Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Building custom XanMod Kernel

I have found this good article by Josh Stoik about XanMod, reduced kernel size is one of its goals!

https://blobfolio.com/2018/06/building-a...ntu-18-04/

"Results: At the very least, your effort spent customizing and compiling your own kernel should free up some disk space on your /boot partition. Of course, your mileage will vary depending on your compression settings, etc. For my laptop — with modest Zstd initramfs compression — the GCC optimizations and manual pruning via make menuconfig managed to shave 12.40MB off the stock XanMod kernel. Combined with make localmodconfig, the savings skyrocketed to 40.35MB. That may not seem like much, but given a total EFI partition size of 125MB, that is a very welcome return on investment. The performance impacts of such efforts will vary by machine, but if nothing else, boot times should be slightly faster. With less to decompress and load, my system boots between 1-1.5 seconds faster. The GCC optimization flags don’t accomplish much for Kaby Lake processors yet, but systems with older architectures could see efficiency boosts of 3-10% under certain types of workloads."
"(...) the grandest occasion the past or present has seen, or the future can hope to see." -- Cervantes.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)