Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Benchmarks Default Kernel vs pf-Kernel vs Liquorix vs XanMod

(28-06-2016, 07:58 AM)Mjasnik link Wrote: I'm really surprised how You don't want to acknowledge different type of tests. You don't even run them by Yourself to verify or disprove them, but say that they are nonsense Sad

They are nonsense because they don't offer a real vision of true kernel behaviour in a workday, and mainly because what your results really meant is that BFQ+BFS and any other patched kernel are worst than plain mainline generic! :-X That's absolutely nonsense, because plain generic Ubuntu kernel comes with CFQ+CFS by default just like current XanMod series -- both tuned CFQ+CFS to increase their performance! :o And XanMod is better than plain generic en C-Ray, 7-zip and OpenSSL by the way, so your tests results are nonsense! Sad
"(...) the grandest occasion the past or present has seen, or the future can hope to see." -- Cervantes.

Bye.

(28-06-2016, 02:01 PM)Mjasnik link Wrote: Bye.

Please, have a nice day! Smile
"(...) the grandest occasion the past or present has seen, or the future can hope to see." -- Cervantes.

I think that 4.6.3-xanmod5 desktop responsiveness is increased under deadline i/o scheduler, but I have not a very good computer to examine with accuracy this fact. Some help is needed here. Please, feel free to make some testing and publish your results here at Habernir's topic -- useful feedback is always kindly welcome in this forum! Smile

Edit: constant improvement is our secret itself to make the best Linux kernel ever! Big Grin

Phoronix Test Suite v4.8.3, Interactive Benchmarking, Hdparm single test results are shown:
Code:
hdparm Timed Disk Reads:
    pts/hdparm-read-1.0.0 [Disk To Read: /dev/sda5]
= 19.79 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 with CFQ-tuned+CFS-tuned
hdparm Timed Disk Reads:
= 22.57 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 with Deadline+CFS-tuned
hdparm Timed Disk Reads:
= 18.01 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 with NOOP+CFS-tuned
Edit: if these results were right, Deadline performance would be higher than CFQ and also higher than BFQ -- being the BFQ scheduler the lowest scored with my system on RT. :-X
Edit2: more accurate testing labour is needed here with more powerful computers. Also I'm alone because my friends are not helping me anymore after they abandoned Linux system.
Edit3: stunning system behaviour with 4.6.3-xanmod5+deadline+performance.

"Stripping a kernel via menuconfig doesn’t mean it will run any better than a stock one. Sure, the size of it will be smaller, and smaller code always runs faster on the stack due to the length of instructions will be smaller. Also, the people who make these claims have no idea about anything. They blindly use patches and try to get FPS to be stable, when in reality, FPS will NEVER EVER be the same due to interrupt latency." -G. "Monk" Stanley

(09-07-2016, 10:05 PM)e Wrote: "Stripping a kernel via menuconfig doesn’t mean it will run any better than a stock one. Sure, the size of it will be smaller, and smaller code always runs faster on the stack due to the length of instructions will be smaller. Also, the people who make these claims have no idea about anything. They blindly use patches and try to get FPS to be stable, when in reality, FPS will NEVER EVER be the same due to interrupt latency." -G. "Monk" Stanley

Current Xanmod is the proof of the good work and the result of development tasks inside one single thing each time. IMHO Linux developers should be focused to apply all the tweaks and solutions that are all over the internet from near 2008 until now -- or also solve the problems one by one instead insert thousand of 'improvements' not enough tested. I can't understand why people got surprised about the performance from some single ideas applied to Xanmod kernel, as by now current RT625 is the most powerful kernel I have ever run in my notebook: it's an amazing masterpiece of compiling. I know that there are some BB fanboys outside merging external overbloated patches with blind madness, but I don't really care because our users know the truth.  Angel Thanks, e, and welcome again from a long time. Smile

4.7.0-xanmod2 CPU temp results are better than 4.7.0-xanmod1 for me (52º vs. 56º) -- summer time here, too much heat outside. Confused
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
$ sudo sensors-detect
# answer 'yes' to all
$ sensors
# see the output

The ultimate Ubuntu Team's benchmarking over CPU I/O schedulers. Smile
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/fs-tests...index.html
Note: Ubuntu 16.04 set all drive I/O schedulers to deadline, for both SSD and rotational disks.

Phoronix Test Suite v4.8.3, Interactive Benchmarking, Hdparm single test results:
Code:
hdparm Timed Disk Reads: pts/hdparm-read-1.0.0 [Disk To Read: /dev/sda5]
= 22.32 Mb/s average with 4.7.0-xanmod2 w/ CFQ_tuned+CFS_tuned
* 19.79 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 w/ CFQ_tuned+CFS_tuned
   +2.53
= 22.77 Mb/s average with 4.7.0-xanmod2 w/ Deadline_tuned+CFS_tuned
*  22.57 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 w/ Deadline+CFS_tuned
   +0.20
= 22.92 Mb/s average with 4.7.0-xanmod2 w/ NOOP_layer_tuned+CFS_tuned
* 18.01 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 w/ NOOP+CFS_tuned
   +4.91

Unexpected and good result for NOOP_layer_tuned+CFS_tuned. Further testing should be done here I guess -- although higher result with deadline_tuned was expected, there wasn't enough performance gain: the tuning work hasn't worth the effort. Confused

Edit: I'm quite sure that Xan's CFQ_tuned works better with modern multicore processors, so more testing are needed in modern computers. After all, I'm surprised for the little gain of my own 'tuned' Deadline compared to tuned block layer parameters with NOOP. Also is quite surprising the amount of performance of Xan's tuned CFQ with 4.7.0 mainline kernel plus more interactivity after refining the CFS CPU scheduler.

Code:
=   23.09 Mb/s average with 4.7.0-xanmod2 w/ CFQ_tuned+block_layer+CFS_tuned
**  22.32 Mb/s average with 4.7.0-xanmod2 w/ CFQ_tuned+CFS_tuned
*   19.79 Mb/s average with 4.6.3-xanmod5 w/ CFQ_tuned+CFS_tuned

Tuning block layer with echo 8192 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb && echo 8192 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests  && echo 2 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity && echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random increases the performance of Xan's CFQ tuned at least for me. More testing is needed here with modern computers. If you want to test these non persistent settings on the fly, please begin with lower values just like 128xN, being N the times to increase the value -- probably 8192 could be a too high value although I have no issue with it by the moment. Just remember that if you want to enable also the KMS feature just add the echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run && echo 100 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs line to the command. Sleepy

Hello All,
Just installed ubuntu 16.04, I have an AMD FX 8350 Octa core black edition with MSI GTX 970 and 8 G of RAM 1866.
Ubuntu with default kernel, was not fast, games was not good due to the open source drivers, so I installed Nvidia proprietary drivers, and got a huge increase in FPS in games.
Now I just installed 4.4 xanmod kernel LTS, and I got a huge improvement in desktop and a 20 fps increase in games, I didn't use any of the Official tools to measure, I just got the FPS in games, before and after.
I recommend xanmod kernel, I didn't test liquorix, so I can only provide the information that I have between XANMOD kernel and Vanilla kernel that comes with ubuntu.

(03-08-2016, 08:09 AM)oldnordic Wrote: Hello All, (...) I recommend xanmod kernel, I didn't test liquorix, so I can only provide the information that I have between  XANMOD kernel and Vanilla kernel that comes with ubuntu.

Hello Oldnordic! Smile I'm glad to hear so good news from you and I'm also very happy with your computer's FPS gain. Please, get a warm welcome to the Xanmod forum! In the other hand, I recommend you to give a chance to 4.7.0-xanmod2 kernel if possible, because it has very good features for graphical improvement from mainline -- AMD and Nvidia related, please read the below link. Thanks for your kind words.  Sleepy    
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...rnel&num=1

(03-08-2016, 12:11 PM)tropic Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 08:09 AM)oldnordic Wrote: Hello All, (...) I recommend xanmod kernel, I didn't test liquorix, so I can only provide the information that I have between  XANMOD kernel and Vanilla kernel that comes with ubuntu.

Hello Oldnordic! Smile I'm glad to hear so good news from you and I'm also very happy with your computer's FPS gain. Please, get a warm welcome to the Xanmod forum! In the other hand, I recommend you to give a chance to 4.7.0-xanmod2 kernel if possible, because it has very good features for graphical improvement from mainline -- AMD and Nvidia related, please read the below link. Thanks for your kind words.  Sleepy    
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...rnel&num=1

I will install today the 4.7.0-xanmod2, any tweaks that you can recommend for gaming? Smile
And thanks, this kernel is amazing!

Exclamation 
(04-08-2016, 04:48 PM)oldnordic Wrote: I will install today the 4.7.0-xanmod2, any tweaks that you can recommend for gaming?

Hello again! It has been a long and hard road of development effort by the way!  Wink  Well, about your question on tweaks for gaming here there are a couple of testing tweaks and some staging proposals (we never sleep here, you know). IMHO the Xanmod kernel by itself provides all the performance that an average user could need, but if you really need to feel the 'heat' I would recommend you the next steps (there is no risk at all because all these testing tweaks are easily reversible or non persistent):

1)  Install 'zram', no tuning needed for your system:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install zram-config
#just to know if it's working and get brief status
$ sudo cat /proc/swaps
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get install remove --purge zram-config

2) Install 'preload' with my tuned values:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install preload
$ sudo gedit /etc/preload.conf
# locate the next lines and set the next values
cycle=30
memfree = 50
memcached=50
processes=50
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge preload

3) RAM on the edge, set vm.swappiness=1, no problem by now for me
Code:
$ sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
# add the line vm.swappiness=1
# if remove is need just add a '#' to the line or delete it

4) after followed steps 1, 2 and 3, reboot and proceed tuning the block layer and also enable a friendly timed KSM 'on the fly' (just for current session, the other steps remain if not removed):
Code:
$ sudo su
@root echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb && echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests  &&  echo 2 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity && echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random && echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run && echo 100 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs

I hope these testing tweaks will give you some fun! -- I use them all with good results. Smile

Edit: here there are another kind of proposals for easy tuning, I forgot to include them:

5. Install 'indicator-cpufreq' and select 'performance' governor in the icon before gaming:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge indicator-cpufreq

6. Install latest CPU 'microcodes', please read the info from below link:
https://forum.xanmod.org/thread-13.html

Any kind of feedback will be welcome, thanks for your interest in Xanmod!  Sleepy

(04-08-2016, 07:01 PM)tropic Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 04:48 PM)oldnordic Wrote: I will install today the 4.7.0-xanmod2, any tweaks that you can recommend for gaming?

Hello again! It has been a long and hard road of development effort by the way!  Wink  Well, about your question on tweaks for gaming here there are a couple of testing tweaks and some staging proposals (we never sleep here, you know). IMHO the Xanmod kernel by itself provides all the performance that an average user could need, but if you really need to feel the 'heat' I would recommend you the next steps (there is no risk at all because all these testing tweaks are easily reversible or non persistent):

1)  Install 'zram', no tuning needed for your system:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install zram-config
#just to know if it's working and get brief status
$ sudo cat /proc/swaps
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get install remove --purge zram-config

2) Install 'preload' with my tuned values:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install preload
$ sudo gedit /etc/preload.conf
# locate the next lines and set the next values
cycle=30
memfree = 50
memcached=50
processes=50
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge preload

3) RAM on the edge, set vm.swappiness=1, no problem by now for me
Code:
$ sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
# add the line vm.swappiness=1
# if remove is need just add a '#' to the line or delete it

4) after followed steps 1, 2 and 3, reboot and proceed tuning the block layer and also enable a friendly timed KSM 'on the fly' (just for current session, the other steps remain if not removed):
Code:
$ sudo su
@root echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb && echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests  &&  echo 2 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity && echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random && echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run && echo 100 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs

I hope these testing tweaks will give you some fun! -- I use them all with good results. Smile

Edit: here there are another kind of proposals for easy tuning, I forgot to include them:

5. Install 'indicator-cpufreq' and select 'performance' governor in the icon before gaming:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
# if remove is needed
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge indicator-cpufreq

6. Install latest CPU 'microcodes', please read the info from below link:
https://forum.xanmod.org/thread-13.html

Any kind of feedback will be welcome, thanks for your interest in Xanmod!  Sleepy

Working like a charm, very happy here!!
FPS increase more 7%, and now the desktop seems more stable and fast!
I will try to get some numbers, to post here!

Thanks a lot!! Smile

A good work!

Quote:Working like a charm, very happy here!!
FPS increase more 7%, and now the desktop seems more stable and fast!
I will try to get some numbers, to post here!
Thanks a lot!! [Image: smile.png]
A good work!

I'm very glad to read your good news! Smile
If you want to make persistent the 'echo' commands (I meant not just for current session):
Code:
$ sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
# add the next lines before the end line 'exit 0'
echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb
echo 4096 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
echo 100 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs
echo 2 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity
echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random
# close the file and make sure it's executable
$ sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

After then, the alone work to do is just to set the 'performance' governor manually at the icon of 'indicator-cpufreq', because all the other tweaks and tuned values will be executed in every each session, including the 'echo' ones. If you want to see if them are being stablished from rc.local file, after reboot:
Code:
$ sudo cat /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb && cat /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests  && cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run && cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs && cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity && cat /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random

Please, feel free to post any kind of benchmarking tests as you wish. Every kind of feedback is always welcome to make possible the constant improvement of Xanmod kernel. Also any development idea will be considered and tested as soon as possible. Thank you again for your interest and work, regards, tropic! Smile

According to Xan's report from a proposed idea, tuned block layer parameters with NOOP governor boost I/O performance. Please Oldnordic, would you test these values for gaming? -- this tweak now enables NOOP and increases read_ahead_kb and nr_request from 4096 to 8192, the other values remain as before and probably them all will be merged in future upcoming kernels by default.
Code:
# these tuning values are just set 'on the fly' and them are not persistent
$ sudo su
@root echo noop /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler  && echo 8192 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb && echo 8192 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests  &&  echo 2 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rq_affinity && echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random
Thank you very much, Oldnordic, for your help! Smile

https://forum.xanmod.org/thread-19-post-...ml#pid1711

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 with 'xubuntu-desktop' successfully --Ubuntu 14.04 still remains alive in other partition. Xanmod kernel really makes the difference for both systems, as always. Big Grin
Code:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

Hi everyone! As I said in some comments in this forum, I have a little and old N450 notebook that gives me fun and happiness considering the low hardware it has. I'm absolutely sure that Xanmod kernel makes the difference for 64bit kernel, as pure mainline is very slow for my system. Also, as I said somewhere here, my notebook is 'useless' to identify the 'good' but extremely awesome to identify the 'bad'... and I'm quite sure that there is something wrong with 4.7.0-mainline kernel with severe RAM consumption, nearly a memory hog problem, causing annyoning freezings and finally a kernel panic. Furthermore, 4.4-mainline-LTS and 4.6-mainline work perfectly well with Ubuntu 16.04 under the same heavy and extreme workload circunstances while testing labour here (and obviously their xanmod derived worked like a charm too). If you are experiencing any kind of issue related to this suspicious problem, drop_caches helped me in some way -- waiting for upcoming 4.7.1 and next 4.8-LTS to see how them work. Dodgy

Code:
# 4.7.0-mainline
$ free
                           total        used        free         shared     buff/cache   available
Memoria:     2035216     1114092      111324      294128      809800      440908
$ sudo sh -c "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"
$ free
                           total        used        free         shared      buff/cache   available
Memoria:     2035216     1127508      329248      286508      578460      439960
Code:
# 4.4.17-mainline-LTS
$ free
                            total        used        free             shared  buff/cache   available
Memoria:     2035216      925112      176052       82844      934052      837044
$ sudo sh -c "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"
$ free
                           total        used        free              shared  buff/cache   available
Memoria:     2035216      890316      757288       82684      387612      881364

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)